Friday 31 May 2013

Lets talk braids..







Solange knowles braids in a high bun

Solane Knowles braids down (around 30 inches in length)



Brandy instagram picture with braids

Brandy with Marley braids (two strand twists)

Janet Jackson Poetic justice braids

Dookie braids (thicker plaits)



Lashontae braids from Instagram
My 90s look with a high top knot

ME IN MY SENEGALESE TWISTS (two strand brids)




Relaxed look with beenie hat

High pony tail for work

High side ponyail


So lets talk braids..

Hey guys hope you are all well, I thought I would post one of my favourite hairstyles that I am rocking at the moment. The first few pictures are of a few celebrities that have inspired me to have these single braids. This was a big step for me as I havent had braids since I was little lol I remember my mum having single braids all the time (in the 90s) when I was little so I thought I would encapsulate her and try it out myself :)

Many of you may want to know how braids are created and where they came from.  Many people call these 'poetic justice braids' as this hairstyle was made extremely popular by Janet Jackson in the 90s film. The next section describes hair braiding in a little more detail:

History of hair braiding
Hair braiding has been the most enduring style in the Afro-Caribbean tradition, some styles include box braids, cornrows, twists or dread locks.

Records of African hair braiding can be found in many historic artefacts and stone sculptures that can be dated all the way back to before civilisation. The oldest known image of hair braiding was traced back to a place called Saqqara located on the Nile river during the first dynasty of Pharaoh Manes. 

There are a variety of hair braiding styles. In African tradition these styles were not used simply for beautification purposes. Many of these african braiding styles were created to symbolize a persons rank in the African society. Hair braiding in the African culture was seen as a non-verbal form of communication. Depending on the style used in the hair, that style tells information about that persons life.The most elaborate braiding were seen as a privilege, and worn by married women of the tribe. The hair of these women were typically braided up into styles of butterfly wings or plaits.
Rocking box braids/twists..
Aside from just looking great, braids are an easy convenient way to protect your natural/relaxed hair. The braids are created using synthetic or human hair which is attached to your own hair and plaited/twisted to intertwine with your own hair and create te desired style. (box braids tutorial here and Senegalese twists tutorial here) 

Okay so the super-thick long box braids/twists that we are seeing now are a direct throwback to the 90s when stars like Janet Jackson, Brandy and Stacey Dash. Ladies these days are still wearing them in the typical 90s styles like in a high top knot with a bandana for a signature 90s look, down their backs with a middle or in a high bun at the top of their heads etc. Since solange Knowles starte rocking her braids in 2009, man women were influenced by this and decided to go back to their roots with this great versatile look.

My Senegalese twists..
Senegalese twists look fairly simple and easy to do, however the technique is quite difficult and needs to be done in a specific way: As you can see in the video link above, the two strands of braiding hair need to be twisted as the hairstylist is braiding. It took me a long time to find someone who could do my hair but luckily one of my friends at University is very talented and does a variety of different hairstyles so she did mine for me. I am still trying to master the technique, I think I will be able to do it soon but on someones else's hair, not my own. If I had decided to simply go for single plaits, this would have been so much easier, however I wanted something a little different, soft and less harsh looking. These twists are fairly easy to style and maintain, I actually prefer it when they are around 2 weeks old as it is easier to manoeuvre the hair and less of your scalp shows. I plan to leave these twists in for about 6 weeks, I have had them for about 4 weeks now and they still look great however I do need to clean my scalp with witch hazel now and again to diminish product build up but other than that I am loving this 90s style and plan to have them again soon. I may try single plaits as they are easier to do.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/6976081/?claim=awc5wgdafyg">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

9 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely loving braids now!
    It takes forever to braid one's hair but every second is worth it.
    I think I'm gonna rock it as often as possible.

    Lovely post dear.

    Ps.-Thanks for d comment on my blog. I love ur blog.

    http://justporsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I am loving them too, I'm taking mie out soon but feel like reinstalling them straight away again lol

      And oh youre welcome hun, loved your blog so you deserved it!

      Chan

      Delete
  2. love it, didn't realise there was so much history in braids
    another-diana.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i know right, when i was researching found so many things!

      Thank you hun xx

      Delete
  3. Hello! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out the post on my blog: shiyamalajasmine.blogspot.nl x Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww thank you hun, will deffo do it now!
    I can't nominate you back though can I lol..

    Thanks again hun
    Chanelle
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I always try and reply to every comment, I love all my followers and will follow back if I am not already. Hope you are all well xox